Assistant Professor, Department of Earth Science, Rice University, January 2017 to present.
NSF EAR Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Maryland, College Park, February 2015 to December 2016.
Postdoctoral Scientist, University of Maryland, 10/2014-2/2015.
Supervisor: Wen-lu Zhu
Ph.D. in Geophysics, Texas A&M University, 2010-2014.
Microphysical controls on the strength and transport properties of fault zones
Advisors: Frederick Chester, Judith Chester
M.S. in Geology, University of Wisconsin – Madison, 2007-2009.
An experimental study of mechanical and hydrologic controls on natural hydraulic fracture formation in sandstone and siltstone
Advisor: Laurel Goodwin
B.A. in Physics with Honors in Geology, Oberlin College, 2002-2006.
Transpression at Durmid Hill, CA: A record of deformation in the magnetic fabric of the Bishop Ash
Advisor: Steve Wojtal
Intern: May 2013 – August 2013
ConocoPhillips Subsurface Technology Group, Structure and Geomechanics
Supervisor: Peter Hennings
The mechanical stratigraphy of the Eagle Ford Shale
Research Technician: January 2010 – June 2010
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
Supervisors: Peter Kelemen and Brian Evans
Experimental investigation of permeability evolution during reaction controlled cracking in peridotite
- NSF Geophysics/Tectonics/Marine G&G (1945264), CAREER: Path Dependent Slip of the Shallow Subduction Megathrust, $601,711
- NSF EAR-IF (1921517), Upgrade of a Triaxial Rock Deformation Apparatus to Measure the Rheology of Subduction Megathrusts, 2019-2020, $102,379.
- NSF Geophysics (1759127), Controls of Pore Fluid Pressure on Fault Slip Weakening and Fracture Energy, 2018-2021, $264,839.
- American Chemical Society PRF-DNI (59440), Frequency-Dependent Attenuation of Elastic Waves in Fault Zones, 2018-2020, $110,000.
- NSF EAR-PF (1452339), An Experimental Study on the Role of Pore Fluid Pressure During Slow Slip in Subduction Zones, 2015-2017, $174,000.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Editor’s Citation for Excellence in Refereeing – JGR – Solid Earth, 2018
- EarthScope Speaker Series 2015-2016.
- John and Frances Handin Graduate Fellowship, Center for Tectonophysics, Texas A&M University, 2014.
- Bailey Outstanding Student Paper Award, Department of Geoscience, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 2012.
- Outstanding Student Paper Award, Mineral and Rock Physics Focus Group, 2008 AGU fall meeting.
‡Rice Lab Postdoc, †Rice Lab Student, ^Rice lab data/visiting student
In Review and Revision
M. E. French and J. K. Morgan, Pore fluid pressures and strength contrasts maintain frontal fault activity, northern Hikurangi margin, New Zealand (in review).
‡Condit, C., M. E. French, J. A. Hayles, L.Y. Yeung, and C. A. Lee, Fluid and stress state at the base of the subduction seismogenic zone (in revision).
‡Condit, C., V. E. Guevara, J. R. Delph, and M. E. French (2020), Slab dehydration in warm subduction zones at depths of episodic slip and tremor (in press for Earth Planet. Sci. Lett.)
^Phillips, N., †B. Belzer, M. E. French, C. Rowe, and K. Ujiie (2020), Frictional Strengths of Subduction Thrust Rocks in the Region of Shallow Slow Earthquakes, J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth, 125, doi: 10.1029/2019JB018888.
French, M.E. and ‡C. Condit (2019), Slip partitioning along an idealized subduction plate boundary at deep slow slip conditions, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 528, doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2019.115828.
Xing, T., W. Zhu, M. E. French, and †B. Belzer (2019), Stabilizing Effect of High Pore Fluid Pressure on Slip Behaviors of Gouge-Bearing Faults, J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth, 124, doi: 10.1029/2019JB018002.
French, M.E., G. Hirth, and K. Okazaki (2019), Fracture-induced pore fluid pressure weakening and dehydration in serpentinite, Tectonophysics, doi: 10.1016/j.tecto.2019.228168.
J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth, doi: 10.1029/2018JB016053. and J. S. Chester (2018), Localized slip and associated fluidized structures record seismic slip in clay-rich fault gouge,
10.1016/j.epsl.2017.06.009. and W. Zhu (2017), Slow fault propagation in serpentinite under conditions of high pore fluid pressure, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 473, doi:
2016), Fault slip controlled by stress path and fluid pressurization rate, Geophys. Res. Lett., 43, 4330–4339, doi:, , and (10.1002/2016GL068893.
French, M. E., F. M. Chester, J. S. Chester, and J. E. Wilson (2016), Stress-dependent transport properties of fractured arkosic sandstone, Geofluids, doi: 10.1111/gfl.12174.
2015), Micromechanisms of creep in clay-rich gouge from the Central Deforming Zone of the San Andreas Fault, J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth, 120:827–849. doi: , and (10.1002/2014JB011496.
Coble, C. G, M. E. French, F. M. Chester, J. S. Chester, H. Kitajima (2014), In situ frictional properties of San Andreas Fault gouge at SAFOD, Geophys. J. Int., 199 (2), doi:10.1093/gji/ggu306.
French, M. E., H. Kitajima, J. S. Chester, F. M. Chester, and T. Hirose (2014), Displacement and dynamic weakening processes in smectite-rich gouge from the Central Deforming Zone of the San Andreas Fault, J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth, 119, doi:10.1002/2013JB010757.
French, M. E., D. F. Boutt, and L. B. Goodwin (2012), Sample dilation and fracture in response to high pore fluid pressure and strain rate in quartz-rich sandstone and siltstone, J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth, 117, doi:10.1029/2011JB008707.
Huntington, K.W., and Klepeis, K.A., with 66 community contributors (2018), Challenges and opportunities for research in tectonics: Understanding deformation and the processes that link Earth systems, from geologic time to human time. A community vision document submitted to the U.S. National Science Foundation. University of Washington, 84 pp., https://doi.org/10.6069/H52R3PQ5.
McGuire, J., and Plank, T. , with 16 writing committee members (2017), The SZ4D Initiative, Understanding the Processes that Underlie Subduction Zone Hazards in 4D, A vision document submitted to the National Science Foundation, 63 pp., https://www.iris.edu/hq/files/workshops/2016/09/szo_16/sz4d.pdf.
- Steering committee member, Physical Properties of Earth Materials (2018 – present)
- Associate editor, Geophysical Research Letters (2017-present)
- Steering committee member, SZ4D Initiative (2017 – present)
- Planning committee member, NSF funded workshop on experimental needs in subduction zone research (to be held June 2018)
- Writing committee member, Subduction Zone Observatory workshop report to NSF (2016-2017)
- Contributor, Future of Tectonics whitepaper to NSF (2017)
- Funding agency panelist (4 total): NSF, USGS
- Reviewer: EPSL, GRL, JGR, JSG, Terra Nova, NSF, ACS-PRF
- University of Houston: Earth and Atmospheric Sciences Seminar, 6, April, 2018.
- Cooperative Institute for Dynamic Earth Research (CIDER), Berkeley, 18, July, 2017
- University of Pennsylvania: Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences Seminar, 15 Apr., 2016
- Brown University: Geophysics Lunch Bunch Seminar, 22 Mar., 2016
- University of Minnesota: Department of Earth Sciences Seminar, 10 Mar., 2016
- West Virginia University: Department of Geology and Geography Seminar, 8 Mar., 2016
- Rice University: Department of Earth Science Seminar, 11 Feb., 2016
- University of Colorado: Department of Geological Sciences Seminar, 3 Feb., 2016
- University of Michigan: Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences Seminar, 20 Nov., 2015
- Oberlin College: Department of Geology Seminar, 6 Oct., 2015
- Marshall University: Department of Geology Seminar, 12 Nov., 2015
- Marshall University: General Audience Seminar, 12 Nov., 2015
- University of Maryland: Department of Geology Seminar, 11 Sept., 2015
- Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris: Geophysics Seminar, 3 June 2014
- University of Wisconsin: Department of Geoscience Seminar, 26 Nov. 2013
- University of Wisconsin: Department of Civil Engineering Seminar, 25 Nov. 2013
(invited,talk) French, M. E., W. Zhu, and G. Hirth (2017). Pore fluid pressure and the seismic cycle, MR32-A presented at 2017 Fall Meeting, AGU, New Orleans, LA, 11-15 Dec.
French, M. E., Hirth, G, and Okazaki, K (2017). The constitutive behavior of antigorite gouge under fluid-saturated undrained conditions, MR21B-0449 presented at 2017 Fall Meeting, AGU, New Orleans, LA, 11-15 Dec.
(invited, talk) French, M. E. and W. Zhu (2016). Slow fault propagation under conditions of high pore fluid pressure, MR32A-02 presented at 2016 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, CA, 12-16 Dec.
(invited, popup talk) French, M. E. (2016). Rheology and dynamics of the plate boundary, presented at the Subduction Zone Observatory Planning Workshop, Boise, ID, 29 Sept. – 1 Oct.
(invited, talk) French, M. E. and W. Zhu (2016). Slow fault rupture propagation in serpentinite, 201-4 presented at The Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Denver, CO, 25-28 Sept.
(invited, talk) French, M. E. and W. Zhu (2016). Dilatancy-induced slow rupture propagation in serpentinite, presented at Gordon Conference on Rock Deformation, Andover, NH. 21-26 Aug.
French, M. E. and W. Zhu (2015). Dilatancy and pore pressure effects during fracture and shear of antigorite-rich serpentinite, MR33C-2693 presented at 2015 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, CA, 14-18 Dec.
(talk) French, M. E., F. M. Chester, and J. S. Chester (2015). The stress-dependent structure and permeability of fractured arkosic sandstone, 202-8 presented at The Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, 1-4 Nov.
(invited, talk) French, M. E., F. M. Chester, and J.S. Chester (2015). Strength and deformation processes of SAFOD gouge deformed at creep to co-seismic rates. EarthScope National Meeting, Stowe, VT, 14-17 June.
French, M. E., F. M. Chester, and J. S. Chester (2014). Mechanical and Microphysical Constraints on Co-seismic Rupture into the Creeping Segment of the San Andreas Fault, S11C-4364 presented at 2014 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, CA, 15-19 Dec.
(talk) French, M. E., F. M. Chester, and J. S. Chester (2013). Constitutive behavior of gouge from the Central Deforming Zone of the San Andreas Fault approaching in-situ strain-rates. presented at 2013 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, CA, 9-13 Dec.
Carpenter, B. M., C. Marone, D. M. Saffer, D. A. Lockner, C. A. Morrow, S. H. Hickman, M. E. French, J. S. Chester, and F. M. Chester (2013). Fault Friction and Physics: Lessons from SAFOD. S23C-03 presented at 2013 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, CA, 9-13 Dec.
(talk) French, M. E., H. Kitajima, J. S. Chester, F. M. Chester, and T. Hirose (2013). Microstructural development during displacement and dynamic weakening of smectite-rich fault gouge. 216-6 presented at The Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Denver, CO, 26-30 Oct.
French, M. E., H. Kitajima, J. S. Chester, and F. M. Chester (2012). The microstructural evolution of smectite-rich SAFOD gouge during dynamic weakening, Gordon Conference on Rock Deformation, Andover, NH, 19-24 Aug.
French, M. E., H. Kitajima, J. S. Chester, and F. M. Chester (2011). The mechanical behavior and weakening mechanisms of smectite-rich SAFOD gouge at seismic slip-rates, T13A-2347 presented at 2011 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, CA, 5-9 Dec.
French, M. E., H. Kitajima, J. S. Chester, and F. M. Chester (2011). Mechanical and microstructural observations of dynamic weakening in smectite-rich SAFOD gouge, Southern California Earthquake Center (SCEC) Annual Meeting, Palm Springs, CA, 11-14 Sept.
Kitajima, H., M. E. French, J. S. Chester, and F. M. Chester (2011). Frictional behavior of the CDZ gouge at seismic slip rates, EarthScope National Meeting, Austin, TX, 18-20 May.
(invited, talk) French, M. E., L. B. Goodwin, and D. F. Boutt (2010). Sample dilation and fracture formation in quartz-rich sandstones and siltstones under undrained experimental conditions. presented at Gordon Conference on Rock Deformation, Tilton, NH. 8-13 Aug.
French, M. E., L. B. Goodwin, and D. F. Boutt (2009). Experimental evidence for hydrologic and mechanical controls on the formation of natural hydraulic fractures in quartz-rich sandstones and siltstone, MR41A-1851 presented at 2009 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, CA, 14-18 Dec.
French, M. E., L. B. Goodwin, and D. F. Boutt (2008). Experimental Observations on the Roles of Mechanical and Hydrologic Properties in the Initiation of Natural Hydraulic Fractures, MR21A-1761 presented at 2008 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, CA, 15-19 Dec.
French, M. E., S. F. Wojtal, B. Housen (2006). Transpressional deformation style and AMS fabrics adjacent to the southernmost segment of the San Andreas Fault, Durmid Hill, CA, T41D- 1598 presented at 2006 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, CA, 11-15 Dec.